it's National Tourism Week? It is! May 10 - May 18th marks the 25th annual celebration of U.S. travel and what better way to celebrate than to get out the calendar, check out the budget and plan an eco-friendly summer escape? (C'mon... that economic stimulus check is begging to be spent, right?)
If that fact alone isn't enough for you, here are some other ways to justify an annual green jaunt, recently compiled by the Travel Industry Association:
- Travelers rate their overall health one full point higher (on a scale of 1 to 5) while on vacation. They also get three times more deep sleep after their vacation and sleep almost 20 minutes longer after their vacation.
- Even the anticipation of vacation travel generates an increase in positive feelings about one's life as a whole, family, economic situation, and health.
- An annual vacation can cut a person's risk of heart attack by 50 percent.
- Women who take more vacations are more satisfied with their marriages.
- More than half of employed Americans say they come back feeling reconnected with their family after vacation (53%).
- Three out of four executives believe that vacations are necessary for them to prevent burnout (78%) or that vacations improve their personal job performance (75%).
- Travelers experience a 25% increase in performance on vigilance tests after returning from vacation - travelers 45 or older show a 50% increase in performance.
- Two out of three executives believe that vacations improve their creativity (68%)